Alright, it’s that time of year where we start to look for the best gifts for our teenage artists for Christmas. This list of art supplies for teens is perfect for teenage artists. I’m pretty much making a gift guides for me as a teenager. These are the gifts I would have loved as a teenage artist!
For your convenience, I have included Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support the work I do on Art Class Curator.
Good Art Supplies for Teens:
I focused on some good quality (but not too expensive) art supplies for teens. Having nice materials really helps take your art to the next level.
- Conte Crayon 18 Box Set – I love drawing with conte crayon. It’s kind of like a chalk pastel, but not quite as dusty. The colors are brilliant, and you can blend them easily.
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Water Colour Sketchers’ Pocket Box set of 12 – This is not your normal watercolor set for kids. This is an artist quality watercolor kit small enough to fit in your pocket. I bought one of these in Italy when I studied abroad in college, and it was such a treasure. If you buy this, be sure to buy some watercolor paper to go along with it. These watercolor paper postcards go great with this set. These would be great stocking stuffers!
- Liquitex BASICS Acrylic Paint Tube 48-Piece Set – Liquitex Basics are my go-to acrylic paint. The colors are many and beautiful, the paint lasts a long time, and it’s not ridiculously expensive.
- Art Alternatives Canvas Panel (8 X 10) PACK OF 12 – Canvas boards are an inexpensive way to make paintings more elevated than your standard 12×18 sheets of paper. They don’t take up a lot of space, and they give the student a more authentic experience. These boards are for acrylic or oil paint. Watercolor won’t do.
- Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Brush Set, 24-Piece – You need different types of brushes to get the effects you want. And, having a canvas carrier gives your student a good way to store and carry the brushes.
- Pro Art 18-Piece Sketch/Draw Pencil Set – To really make quality drawings, it is important to have the right tools. This includes graphite sticks, charcoal, pencils of different softnesses, blending tools, etc. This is a great starter kit.
- Royal & Langnickel Deluxe Sketching Artist Box Set – A more deluxe version of the above drawing kit. This comes with a little wood mannequin and a wooden storage box.
- Pentel Arts Oil Pastels, 50 Color Set (PHN-50) – Oil pastels are a must. I love this brand, and this set has 50 colors! I could color with oil pastels for days. (see this post about my favorite oil pastel project).
- Canson 9-Inch by 12-Inch Universal Sketch Book, 100-Sheet – If your teenage artist doesn’t have a nice sketchbook, get one! 🙂 I personally like sketchbooks with ringed binding, because it lays flat on the table a little better, but I know others who like the stiffer binding.
- Speedball 6-Nib Calligraphy Lettering Set and Speedball 2-Ounce India Ink, Super Black – Pen nibs and ink. This is such a fun thing to learn and experiment with. I loved my set that I got in college. You can also get ink in many colors and use with pens like this one and with brushes too.
Want more gifts for teenage artists? They’ll love these quirky gift ideas for artsy teens!
If you like this post, you may also like: