One of the best ways to introduce art history to kids is through books. This Can you find it? book series from the Metropolitan Museum of Art is a perfect way to introduce important works of art to your kiddos.
I was first introduced to the series with the Can you hear it? book, which I used in my elementary art classroom. The book includes artworks, looking questions, a cd of music pieces to listen to as you look at the artwork, and questions to help you actively listen to the music. The music connects to the art, and the book instructs you to listen for sounds from the paintings like bubbling water, buzzing bees, or swimming fish. This is such a great idea; I wish I would have come up with it myself!
The rest of the Can you find it? books are filled with beautiful and intriguing works of art with “I Spy”-esque questions to make it easy for you to facilitate the learning. These are great for your elementary age students. Please note, this post includes Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Can You Hear It?
- Can You Find It?: Search and Discover More Than 150 Details in 19 Works of Art
- Can You Find It, Too?: Search and Discover More Than 150 Details in 20 Works of Art
- Can You Find It? America: Search and Discover More Than 150 Details in 20 Works of Art
- Can You Find It Inside?: Search and Discover for Young Art Lovers
- Can You Find It Outside?: Search and Discover for Young Art Lovers
What art books do you and your kids love?