It’s October, so we’re going to get a little spooky! Today’s guest runs his very own haunted house. He takes this unique experience into his classroom by creating a one-of-a-kind special FX art class for his high school students. Listen in to today’s show to get inspired to take your unique skills into the classroom.
- Chris shares details about his career and his current teaching position in Alabama.
- In addition to teaching general art classes, Chris shares about the special effects class he teaches where he incorporates prosthetics, prop-making, set design, make-up application, and costume-making.
- Chris tells about how he allows his students to create their own presentations to showcase in front of judges.
- Chris uses many project-based lessons in preparation for the students’ showcase.
- Learning new process ahead of the students is something Chris shares with us.
- Beginning in October, Chris’ students narrow their focus for the April showcase, including writing proposals and creating characters.
- Students were allowed to develop their characters and ideas for months leading up to the showcase, sometimes in a team situation.
- Chris discusses how he grades students including their active participation.
- Chris shares his pride for how well the students prepared for the showcase last year, including making some very intricate prostheses.
- Students may take the special effects class year after year.
- Chris shares how haunted house design and filmmaking overlap
- Allen Hopps is a YouTube sensation Chris has his students study because of his great tutorials. Stiltbeast Studios
- Todd Debreceni wrote a special effects book Chris uses with his students.
- Chris discusses supplies how supplies are funded.
- Behind the scenes tours vs. going through the haunted house for those afraid
- Chris shares ideas for inexpensive materials to use with students on a smaller scale.
- Chris shares how/where he shares his personal love of teaching mask-making.
- Chris shares about the artists who inspired him.
Links Mentioned in the Show:
Please note, this post includes Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Allen Hopps’ YouTube Channel
- Todd Debreceni books on Amazon
- Monster Clay on Amazon
- Insanitarium Haunt
- Instagram page
- Facebook page
- Neal Adams
- Rick Baker’s transformation scene from An American Werewolf in London
Subscribe and Review in iTunes
Have you subscribed to the podcast? I don’t want you to miss an episode and we have a lot of good topics and guests coming up! Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
If you are feeling extra kind, I would LOVE it if you left us a review on iTunes too! These reviews help others find the podcast and I truly love reading your feedback. You can click here to review and select “Write a Review” and let me know what you love best about the podcast!