Eric Gibbons joins Cindy on the podcast to share his passion for teaching art and supporting student expression. While in college, a professor noticed Eric’s talents in art and teaching and encouraged him to become an art teacher. Eric says he may have been the first student at his college to switch majors from pre-law to art education, but he has no regrets.
Eric has nearly 30 years of teaching experience and has been able to carry his love for art to both Egypt and Japan, where he was able to teach art. Currently, Eric teaches high school art in New Jersey and was recognized by the state for his excellence in art education in 2015. His classroom lessons have been featured by Davis Publications and other books on art and education through Firehouse Publications of Bordentown, NJ. Eric’s best-known book is If Picasso Had A Christmas Tree.
Eric’s work has been featured in international exhibitions and in many publications. Additionally, Eric is a blogger on his website, Art Ed Guru, and his blogs are appreciated by educators worldwide.
- Eric shares how his love of art began at an early age.
- Cindy and Eric discuss components involved in teaching art in a public school
- Eric shares why there has been some push-back to his philosophy of teaching art.
- Students find relevance in art when they have a personal connection to it.
- Cindy discusses how art can give students a method to express their emotions.
- Eric tells about how he has his art students partner with students at other schools for a project.
- Eric discusses how he uses a universal rubric for 2D and 3D artwork in his classroom.
- Eric shares how he has his students reflect on their work.
- Eric shares tips for ensuring uniqueness and individuality in student work.
- Cindy and Eric discuss incorporating art history in the classroom.
Links Mentioned in the Show:
Please note, this post includes Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Art Ed Guru
- Firehouse Publications
- Art Grading
- Tips for Ensuring Individuality
- Tips and Tricks in the Art Room
- Eric’s Philosophy Diagram
- Ken Vieth
Subscribe and Review in iTunes
Have you subscribed to the podcast? I don’t want you to miss an episode and we have a lot of good topics and guests coming up! Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
If you are feeling extra kind, I would LOVE it if you left us a review on iTunes too! These reviews help others find the podcast and I truly love reading your feedback. You can click here to review and select “Write a Review” and let me know what you love best about the podcast!