I’ve had some great responses to my new video series, 5-Minute Art History, so I have filmed some more episodes! Today, I cover the art of Ancient Sumer which is one of the first-ever civilizations and responsible for a lot of our history’s firsts.
Watch the video, and then download the printable handout covering the conventions of Sumerian art from the Curated Connections Library.
Sumerian Art Conventions Printable
Get to know more about Sumerian art in this informative PDF. Makes a great printable for your classroom or study sheet for your students!
Sumer Art Conventions
~4500 – 1750 B.C.E.
- First civilization
- Sumerians had many inventions include the wheel, writing, and more
- First written language = cuneiform
- Theocracy, the ruler was God and leader was God’s representative on earth
- Hierarchical scale
- Stylized and geometric forms
- Manipulated and exaggerated proportion in art and features
- Ziggurat = stepped temple
- Creates a connection between heaven and earth
- Winding pattern of steps slows you down and prepares you for god
- Reflects important role of religion in people’s lives
- Tell Asmar Hoard
- The Standard of Ur
- The Ziggurat of Ur
How to Study Art History Bundle
This bundle includes all of my favorite resources for art history—interactive activities, in-depth lessons, useful worksheets, trainings and more!
Get the Full Lesson!
This Lesson is in The Curated Connections Library!
Find the full lesson from this post along with hundreds of other art teaching resources and trainings in the Curated Connections Library. Click here for more information about how to join or enter your email below for a free Artwork of the Week lesson from the membership!