Today on the Art Class Curator Podcast, I share a personal story about a recent art encounter that called me to action and helped me cope with a profound tragedy. Please join me in considering how art in times of tragedy can console and restore us. Find out what you can do to help your students utilize art to connect, heal and take action. If you want an example of how art can change your life, listen to this episode. I am a dedicated teacher that strongly believes that art can help people deal with the tragedies that we see in today’s society. I want to help children use art as a way to feel less alone in this world. Children need more exposure to art in order for them to make a personal connection and use it as a tool to move through grief. Show Highlights:
- The recent tragedies that schools are facing in today’s society. How has it affected schools, art teachers and students?
- How art can help people through these situations and how art provides solace.
- Her trip to see Hamilton in Houston after the tragedy in Santa Fe, Texas and the description of the musical and its impact on her.
- Cindy talks about the podcast “Harry Potter and the Sacred Text” and how it connects to some tragedies that are happening today.
- Art can be a comfort tool and we can teach children to use art in this way.
- Finding ways for non-artistic kids to connect with art, find deeper meaning in art, and see themselves in a work of art.
- How to use art to cope with tragedies, release stress and how to connect art in your life.
- The need for teachers to talk to students about these tragedies and issues and the idea that using art is a safe way to do this.
- Special Guest Speaker, “Jim O’Donnell” will talk about his experience with a school shooting and how he spoke to the students about it and how art affected him through all of this.
Links Mentioned in the Show:
Please note, this post includes Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Hamilton Broadway Hip Hop Musical
- Harry Potter and the Sacred Text podcast
- The Soup of Europe painting by Miguel Barcelo
Subscribe and Review in iTunes
Have you subscribed to the podcast? I don’t want you to miss an episode and we have a lot of good topics and guests coming up! Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
If you are feeling extra kind, I would LOVE it if you left us a review on iTunes too! These reviews help others find the podcast and I truly love reading your feedback. You can click here to review and select “Write a Review” and let me know what you love best about the podcast!