In this lesson, students dive deep into the art of Edvard Munch through a variety of learning activities.
- Students create tweets based on his art to explore characters.
- Students study The Scream by Edvard Munch and describe the lines, contrast, colors, and space. (After analyzing the artwork, you may choose to show the above video or use it for your reference.)
- In an interactive activity where students get up and walk around the room, they then study his Frieze of Life series and try to determine which foundational human emotion Munch was trying to convey in each painting.
- Students make predictions about Munch’s life based on his art, and then they do research about his life.
- Students create a Frieze of Life artwork where they try to convey a foundational human emotion through the elements of art and principles of design.
Downloads in this Resource
- PowerPoint – 29 slides (PPT, PDF)
- Visual Analysis of The Scream Student Worksheet (DOC, PDF)
- Frieze of Life Pictures to Print in Color (PDF, PPT)
- Munch’s Biography Research Student Worksheet (DOC, PDF)
- List of Emotions to Print and Cut (DOC, PDF)
Related Blog Posts
- The Scream by Edvard Munch art lesson
- Edvard Munch Frieze of Life (coming very soon)